Thursday, October 23, 2008

Successor to LowePro Stealth Backpack announced !

I didn't know when I wrote the last post so many months ago that the good folks at ThinkTank photo were busy putting the finishing touches on a successor to the Stealth backpack that I was writing about.  Turns out the designers that they took with them when they left Lowepro way back in the day actually were the same guys and girls who designed the Stealth backpack.

While at Photokina a few weeks ago on other business I dropped by the TT stand.  I'm on their customer email list and they invited anyone to pop in.  When I mentioned that I had originally been an early adopter of their Modulus kit (or in TT lingo, a "Test Driver") and was based in New Zealand, their head honcho Doug Murdoch remembered my name in a flash.  Quite amazing recall given that he's not exactly been sitting on his hands for the last three years.

Anyway, knowing I've got a wierd thing for camera bags and muttering something about a secret project, he ushered me into their tiny office and showed me a pre release version of the forthcoming Shape Shifter backpack.  Swearing me to secrecy, he told me that Rob Galbraith was due to run the official exclusive launch note.

photo courtesy thinktankphoto.com

Now, picture the scene.  You run an international company that makes camera bags and a guy you know to be obsessed with camera bags walks outta nowhere onto your stand, so you show him your latest, greatest secret bag and you ASK him not to tell ?!?! You don't sit him down and make him sign a Non Disclosure Deed promising fire and brimstone if he so much as thinks about it in public ?  Well, I wouldn't have trusted me.  Not because I look shifty or anything (I don't), but c'mon, the guy knows I blog about camera bags !

Anyway, read all about it here.  Thanks for the heads up Doug.

On the back of my meeting with them, I've hooked up with the local distributors so watch this space for a full review when they're available.

No comments: