Thursday, June 19, 2008

Tokyo bag-mania and two ThinkTank links

So it's been a while, but this time I have a good excuse. I've been away for three of the last four weeks travelling. Where, I hear you ask. Hong Kong and Japan, both on business. What sort of business, I hear you ask (since so few photographers these days get to enjoy such a multi-national career). Well that will be revealed in due course.

But since you don't come here to read about photography or my travels, I'll get onto talking about bags. My cabin luggage of choice was my Peli 1510 for my HK trip and my Timbuk2 Laptop messenger for Japan. As expected, the check-in girl took one look at the Peli 1510 and insisted I weigh it. I've never understood those in the blogosphere that insist this has never happened to them, so here's some practical advice for you, since carry-on luggage allowance is 7kgs and a Peli 1510 weighs nearly 6kgs when empty. Remove all the heaviest items from the case; batteries, laptop and big lenses before weighing. The batteries and biggest lens or two can go in your pockets and the laptop can either go loose or in whichever sleeve you're using. You'll notice that even the stingiest airlines let you take one piece of cabin baggage and a personal item. This personal item is crucial to bending the rules; it's a handbag or laptop or coat but if you read closely can be all three. So with my pockets bulging with two Canon Mark II N batteries and my laptop left out, the Peli 1510 weighed just over 8kgs, near enough that it was allowed through. Had that not been good enough, I'd have taken my camera out, slung it over my shoulder and worn it as another valid personal item. It certainly was a great piece of luggage to have in an airport; easy to roll around and unobtrusive in black.

Japan was the mother of luggage trips though, had my credit card had anything left after I was recently forced to replace my old iBook. My Timbuk2 LM was superb; comfy around the airports and importantly, looking slimline and innocent enough to never get weighed. I fitted a fair bit into it too; my shiny new MacBook, Waterfield case of cables, chargers and whatnot, my Animal passport wallet, my new Sigma DP1, iPod video, and all the other things I like to have when I fly (ear plugs and an eyemask to name two of the cheapest). And thankfully, given the ridiculous security theatre we now have to put up with, the Timbuk2 makes getting my laptop out for the XRays easy.

But the biggest thing I'll remember on the 'manbag' topic while in Japan was both how many guys carry bags there (yes, I felt right at home) but that the manbag sections of shops in Tokyo were larger than entire luggage shops in other countries. Don't believe me ? This is one aisle of photo bags in Yodabashi Camera and there were at least four more this big. As I said before, I distracted myself by taking photos as my credit card screamed to be let out of my pocket.


Every conceivable bag I'd ever heard of and quite a few I hadn't. If you're in Tokyo, the easiest way to find it if you don't speak Japanese is to head to Akihabara then say "Yodabashi" clearly while shrugging your shoulders; everyone knows where it is and if you smile they'll point you in the right direction.

This is the non-photographic bag section in Loft, which is near the Shibuya crossing in the same building as Muji (apologies for the un-corrected white balance).


I came across two fascinating articles last week, both raving about Thinktank belt systems. Check out these links; here and here. The second is extremely useful for travelling working photographers but the first more fits with the kind of work I do, where I don't need my kit as immediately, but still need it easily accessible. Happy reading !

I'll leave you with a non bag-related tangent for the photo-geeks amongst you; the amazing camera displays in Yodabashi Camera in Tokyo. The screens you can see are hooked up to the cameras so you can pick them up, fire away on a million bazillion frames a second and see the results of your handiwork immediately on the screen. Very very cool and a great persuader if you're looking to buy. Fortunately for my credit card bill, I am all stocked up with cameras at the moment.



No comments: