Thursday, April 3, 2008

HPRC... A great Pelican alternative ?

Wow.. it's been a month since I last posted. Bad. Won't happen again. I'll get to work on another feature review.

But in the meantime, I came across HPRC. They're a new company to me but seem to be fairly well established. From what I can tell they're Italian, but have recently signed a US distributor (if a good look around the web for their news is reliable).

So why am I interested in HPRC when Pelican cases are so good ? Two things. First of all the HPRC 3500, a waterproof, crushproof and, by all appearances, pretty much bombproof backpack. A BACKPACK! I'm trying hard to imagine just how useful it would be, to not have to worry about security or protection and be able to carry my gear easily. A superb idea. If I had a watery assignment, I'd certainly take one of these over a Lowepro setup.

The other thing that caught my eye about HPRC was their 2550W, that competes directly with my much loved Pelican 1510. What's interesting about that I hear you cry, why would I buy an Italian case over a good ol' American one ? Check out the dimensions.. the HPRC 2550W is smaller on the outside than a Pelican 1510 and bigger, yes BIGGER, on the inside.

Now until I get my hands on one to check it's built as strongly, it certainly looks like a convincing alternative.

Next feature review... DOMKE !

No comments: