Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thinktank News - Skin, Airstream and new range

ThinkTank Photo have just added and amended their range of photo-related bags.

They've added an interesting line in belt pouches with the SKIN™ range which are all collapsible. Very handy for travelling photographers as it makes it easier to keep your kit in a normal bag (camera or otherwise) and stuff pouches in so that when you get to your destination you've got the best of both worlds; a camera bag and a belt kit. I particularly like the look of the new Skin Belt™. As you know I carry my TT kit in a Peli1510 and the belt takes up an annoying amount of space. The Skin Belt™ looks perfect as I doubt there's any difference in comfort. Also the usual nice design touches, like silence-able velcro.

They've also launched the Airport AirStream™, a tiny rolling bag. It looks too small to be much use to me but they are a switched-on company so I imagine they would only design a new bag if they knew people would buy them.

What I find more interesting is that they no longer sell the Modulus and Pro Modulus belt kit. Instead, we have the Modular Set. Though still a great system, I think it's a shame that they don't still sell the Modulus and Pro Modulus. You can of course build them up yourself, but certainly the Modulus was a much better basis for a system in my opinion as the Whip-it-Out was the natural choice to buy as an add-on to carry your 70-200. The new kit comes with a Pop Down™ pouch which is nowhere near as good as the Whip-It-Out design. Still, all companies evolve and I'm fairly sure your friendly local photo retailer can sort you out a deal if you buy your own bespoke system.

1 comment:

Benjamin said...

I just got 2 skin 50 pouches and the skin 75 pop down. I had plans to use the 3 components on my TT changeup. But due to the width of the pouches, the waist belt rails can only fit 2 of the 3 components that i got. D'oh. The Skin 50 pouches are great. They work well with medium sized lenses that have large'ish hoods like the 17-35mm or the 85mm f/1.4. The 75 pouch fits the 70-200 f/2.8 nicely. though because of the length of the lens and unpadded nature of the skin pouch, i have some concern that when i go to sit down and the 70-200 is in the pouch, that i might bang up the lens a bit much if i'm not mindful of what my lens will hit. A bonus of the 75 pouch is that it'll fit a speedlight in the front slot. I could see that come in handy one of these days. I was never fond of the whip-it out design so when i saw the skin 75 i knew that it would work better for way that i personally shoot.